Yota Yoshida ヨシダヨウタ (1981) is a Photographer. He grew up in a small town in north Kumamoto and currently resides in Tokyo Japan. For the first year, as with many other fathers, he had taking only family photos as daily life because his daughter was born, but he started shooting on the street from around 2015.
His work primarily deals with people and happenings in public spaces. And he is particularly interested in the invisible emotional and poetic impressions that surround us on an ordinary day. He believes the act of taking un-posed photographs is not an act of production, but rather of feeling, and capturing what is already being expressed.
Recent awards include 1st Place Gold Star Award of ND Awards Street Photography Category, Honorable Mention and Award Finalist of Brussels Street Photography Festival, and Award Finalist of Miami Street Photography Festival and others. His works have been featured in numerous medium including Creators Project by Vice, Sueddeutsche Zeitung, Juxtapoz Magazine, Fubiz Media, iGNANT, It's Nice That, Lomography and more.
- 2018 : Alghero Street Photography Awards - Street Photography/ Series Finalist
- 2017 : ND Awards Photo Contest - Street Photography / 1st Place Gold Star Award
- 2017 : The 2nd Edition of PhotogrVphy Grant - CULTURE / Nominee Award
- 2017 : Moscow International Foto Awards 2017 / Honorable Mention
- 2017 : The Prix de la Photographie Paris: P×3 2017 / Honorable Mention
- 2017 : Independent Photography Festival / Shortlisted
- 2017 : Athens Photo Festival / Shortlisted
- 2016 : Brussels Street Photography Festival - International Singles / Award Finalist and Honorable Mention
- 2015 : Miami Street Photography Festival / Award Finalist
Featured Articles (Selected)
- 2018 : CADA DÍA UN FOTÓGRAFO / FOTÓGRAFOS EN LA RED - "Yota Yoshida"
- 2018 : GUP Magazine - "FROM SOMEWHERE TO ELSEWHERE"
- 2018 : Der Greif - Guest Room, "Social Interaction" selection by Nadine Wietlisbach
- 2018 : Don't Take Pictures - "Photo of the day - Yota Yoshida"
- 2018 : Phases Magazine - "FROM SOMEWHERE TO ELSEWHERE"
- 2017 : Bird in Flight - "Living Ones, Born Ones, and Lost Ones in Tokyo"
- 2017 : Landscape Stories - "LS 26 | Habitare SUBMISSION Yota Yoshida - from somewhere, to elsewhere"
- 2017 : Cheese by Konbini - "La photographie de rue intimiste de Yota Yoshida dans la banlieue tokyoïte"
- 2017 : The 405 - "Art Spotlight: Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : Lomography Magazine - "Detachment in Transit: the Visual Diary of Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : SIAM STREET NERDS - "Yota Yoshida ช่างภาพผู้ไล่จับความเหงาระหว่างทางในโตเกียว"
- 2017 : Culture Colectiva - "Cómo se ven la soledad y la desesperación a través de un fotógrafo en Tokio"
- 2017 : The Heavy Collective - "Friday Fry Up : Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : 121clicks - "From Somewhere, To Elsewhere – Street Photography Series By Japanese Photographer Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : iGNANT - "Yota Yoshida Captures The Loneliness Of Transit In Tokyo"
- 2017 : TABI LABO - "ちょっと寂しげで、ちょっとホッとする。Yota Yoshidaが撮る「東京」"
- 2017 : It's Nice That - "Tokyo-based photographer Yota Yoshida’s “poetic expressions in the everyday”"
- 2017 : The Momentum - "ความหว่องในโตเกียว ช่างภาพสตรีทชาวญี่ปุ่นถ่ายภาพสื่อความเหงาของคนในโตเกียว"
- 2017 : Fubiz Media - "Delicate Photographs of Loneliness in Tokyo"
- 2017 : Photogrist Photo Magazine - "From Somewhere, To Elsewhere: Raw Depiction of Tokyo by Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : The Creators Project by Vice - "A Meditative Photo Series Shows Tokyo’s Loneliest Moments"
- 2017 : Creative Boom - "From Somewhere, To Elsewhere: Raw street photography captured in Tokyo, Japan"
- 2017 : Paper Journal - "Yota Yoshida - from somewhere, to elsewhere"
- 2017 : Capricious - "Photographer of the Week #163: Yota Yoshida"
- 2017 : C41 Magazine - "Where are we going? Yota Yoshida and the circular path of life"
- 2016 : Sueddeutsche Zeitung - "Pause auf japanisch - Fotograf Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Format Magazine - "Yota Yoshida’s Tokyo Street Photography Is Surprisingly Peaceful"
- 2016 : kwerfeldein.de - "Von irgendwoher, nach anderswohin - Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Close My Eyes - "from somewhere, to elsewhere - Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Pool Resources - "from somewhere, to elsewhere - Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Juxtapoz Magazine - "The Work of Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Ain't-Bad Magazine - "from somewhere, to elsewhere - Yota Yoshida"
- 2016 : Huffington Post - "“Something Here” — Japanese Street Photographers"
- 2015 : LensCulture - "21st Century Street Photography 250 New Examples"
Interviews and Others
- 2018 : c-Type - "From Somewhere To Elsewhere"
- 2017 : It's Nice That - "Seven creatives in seven cities around the world share what’s great about their local culture"
- 2017 : Lomography Magazine - "A Conversation with Yota Yoshida on Self, Personal Space, and Photography"
- 2017 : Fotoblogia - ""Pociągają mnie rzeczy, które są właściwie niewidzialne" - mówi Yota Yoshida o samotności w Tokio"
- 2017 : MaklumFoto - "Street Photography Interview Series: #20 Yota Yoshida (@yotayoshida)"
- 2017 : Various Artists - "Yota Yoshida - Photographer"
- 2016 : Fotografia Magazine - "Yota Yoshida Roams the Streets Looking to Answer to Life’s Big Questions"
- 2018 : Invesco Ltd. (US) - Internal Newspaper
- 2017 : Spectral Magazine (Spain) - "SPECTRAL ISSUE II"
- 2017 : Haikure (Italy) - "Haikure Magazine 2st Issue Summer 2017"
- 2017 : LUEL (Korea) - "LUEL Magazine No 125, JULY 2017"
- 2017 : Prestel (UK) - "100 Great Street Photographs - By David Gibson"
- 2018 : New Universality, CCAA Yotsuya Ramp-zaka Gallery 3, Tokyo, Japan / Group Exhibition
- 2018 : Photography on a Postcard at Photo London, Somerset House, London, UK / Group Exhibition (Invitation)
- 2018 : The Mask - Mostra Collettiva Fotografica, Millepiani, Roma, Italy / Group Exhibition
- 2017 : Photography on a Postcard, theprintspace Gallery, London, UK / Group Exhibition (Invitation)
- 2017 : Independent Photography Festival, House of Vans, London, UK / Group Exhibition
- 2016 : Brussels Street Photography Festival 2016, Brussels, Belgium / Group Exhibition
- 2015 : Miami Street Photography Festival 2015, Art Basel, Miami, United States / Group Exhibition